Friday 16 September 2011

Slowly Slowly the work progresses


Managed to fit all my hours into 4 days of graft at work so I could have today off. Didn't start too well though having to take the cat to the vets. He has a scratched eyeball. 2 hours wasted, it's healing well nothing more they can do but I will charge you £38 for looking. As you can see I have managed to get the back panel on. Previous pics show some bracing pieces at intervals these provided excellent spacers to allow the curve to run smooth. I think it looks really good. Two gores also in place. These were much more difficult than I expected. I have studied other designs and they suggest using wall paper to make a template. Easy enough I thought until the wind took the first piece across the road. The second piece tore itself away from the pins holding it as another gust came along. Only to find when I did get a template piece and transferred it to the hardboard. Cut it out really carefully BINGO it doesn't fit. When you stretch the wall paper tight it stretches across the shortest distance not taking in curvature the that thicker more solid  hardboard needs. So I spent a great deal of time offering up and clamping a piece and trimming it until I have a good fit. Thankfully as the structure is square or round the template spun around has cut the gores for the opposite side. Before I picked the kids up I also managed to finish the corner gore. This one was really tricky as I can only clamp it from one side. Needed an extra set of hands to hold it in place against the rib so I could draw the angle directly on to the panel. Well I am happy with what I done today I think it looks really good. What do you think?

No comments:

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...