Friday 2 September 2011

Polar Alignment

You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you you are about to do someting and you are not sure if it is going to work. I had that feeeling this evening. It was the first clear sky since the pier was installed and I wanted to get the mount fitted and do a polar alignment. From day one when I dug the hole I had been relying on the fact that I had found north accuratly. When I poured the concrete and set the bolts that hold the pier. The shape of the building was also set the the north alignment give allow an easy access when scopes are parked. So I cannot put it off any longer it was time to carry out the mount attatch to the new top plate and level it to the pier. It was an agonising 45 minute wait to see polaris. Finally the wait was over and I nervously I peered through the finder scope and wow there she was right there where it needed to be.Success I didnt have any doubts at all what was all the worrying about.Dont know what all the fuss was about.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Im impressed Malcolm it looks really good! I too have sighed a relief that it all fits!I'm also very impressed by the pictures too! they look superb!

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...