Sunday 2 April 2023

A galaxy and an asteroid.

I don't think I have attempted to capture Ceres before but here we have it by chance as I put the new scope through it's paces on galaxy season. I was going to continue with my M95 project previously posted when I scrolled around Stellarium to see Ceres placed in the frame with M100. After a few lunar captures earlier I set an autorun for a few hours of data. Having a few calibration frame issues with the Flats not working properly, had a similar issue last year but a new set of flats with a higher ADU value solved the problem.

So here we have a massive crop of the original frame to show the beautiful M100 in all it's spiral glory. 





A few details on Ceres.

The largest of the catalogued asteroids at just under a 1000km in diameter, Ceres roams the solar system at an average distance of 400 million Km's. Ceres was discovered in 1801 after the prediction of another body between Mars & Jupiter.

No comments:

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...