Sunday 17 November 2013

Comet Fever

Comet fever is sweeping the globe, as we anticipate the arrival of comet Ison. I imaged Ison on the 13th at 05.00. I estimated the magnitude at approx 7.5 still just beyond visual limits. A few cloudy early mornings later it appears we have some excitement. As I write this there are posts on facebook claiming he is upto 5.5 and withing viusal limits. The dawn sky was lightening at pace as I tried 3 minute exposures with the Sxv M25. I also captured comet Lovejoy higher in the sky and captured earlier starting at 02.30. These images were produced by the comet stacking and star blurring in Deep Sky Stacker. A strange result with no elongated stars at all ??? I tried with the 3rd method of what would be double processing on the comet then the stars and recombining the to give a sharp core and stars image. This worked but I lost all the colour????. If you looka carefully there is some structure in the tail of Ison.
I wanted to post something from what was an all night session. I will have another go with them and also want to create an animation for them both too. Watch this space.

         Comet C/2012 S1) Ison                                                                                                                 Comet C/2013 R1) Lovejoy

No comments:

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...