Saturday 30 June 2012

IC 5070 The pelican

Just off the ease coast of florida in NGC7000 The North American Nebula lies the strange, wierd, call it what you will, Pelican Nebula. Good job there is no flamingo nebula (I have a thing about flamingos dont even ask)
Located in the same arm our ouf galaxy (Orion arm) approx 2000 light years away, A flood of ultraviolet radiation is being released from massive stars hidden behind the thick dust permeating the region. The intense radiation is wrecking having on the local environment. The radiation ionizes parts of the molecular cloud while eroding and evaporating other areas within the cloud. Portions of the molecular cloud consisting of higher density matter resist ionization and survive as long pillars of dust and gas thus creating the shape we see today.
This is a somewhat adhoc shot. The wind was a tad furious around the dome but it was at least clear. I had set the Iso to 3200 to see what I could pick up for another imaging run when I caught a glimpse of the Pelican. I set up for 30 x 2minute exposures and went back inside the house. I never expected a great deal because of the wind. Having binned 10 shots I processed the remainder. I small DDP stretch and a pretty star spike later, no darks,flats ect gave me this image. If you remember last year I took a shot of the North American in both UHC filtered and unfiltered and what a dramatic difference. http://www.malcsastro.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/ngc-7000-with-uhc-filter.html My intention is to do the same again. WATCH THIS SPACE.

No comments:

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...