Sunday 27 September 2009

Andromeda Revisited

A revisit to the great Andromeda spiral galaxy on thursday took another 40 minutes worth of images including some 5 minute guided. About 60 minutes worth of darks subtracted aswell. Have had a play withe the processing to get a more pleasing colour. I dont think there was enough detail on shorter exposures on the previous image. Now i think it has become a great deal smoother. I do have a stock of flats and bias frames, so I may be back with another. I do have a few issues with coma however so I have cropped as best I can Let me know what you think.





Object: The Great Andromeda Galaxy
Type: Galaxy
Constellation: Andromeda
Date: 24th - 25th September 09 11.40 01.40am
Equipment: William Optics Megrez 90 Canon EOS 40D guided using 66mm William Optics refractor & Atik 16IC camera.
Subframes: 15 x 1 minute exposures at ISO1600, 4 x 5 minute ISO 1600 and 8 x 2 minute exposures approx 60 mins of darks subtracted
Stacked: by Deep Sky Stacker.
Processed: In Images Plus 3.75 with a DDP stretch.

2 comments:

Dr Dan said...

Fantastic. Ideal for your little wide field job. I see what you mean about coma. The distortion at the edge. That's surprising. Is it because you don't have a flat image plane?

keith_morris member of the Breckland Astronomical Society. said...

Yes Malc the coma is noticeable. Maybe a field flattener may help. I know there are some for specific William Optics scopes but I am not too sure about the Megrez 80. You'll have to look around.

Keith

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...