Tuesday 8 April 2014

Deep, Deep,Very Deep

My previous post of M97 & M108 required further inspection as I could see numerous faint fuzzies about 20 in all. I have highlighted the brightest in boxes and spent a great deal of time finding a desiganation for them. trawling through known to me and some obscure catalogues like MCG Morphological catalogue of galaxies, Holmber galaxies and the VV catalogue Vorontsov Velyanimov of interacting galaxies.

I was amazed to find a remote galaxy a bright one at that mag 14.6 named
MCG+09-19-018 A galaxy with active galactic nucleus, With a redshift of z=0.03475
we are Looking back time: 467 million light years a new record in distance capture for me.
Position confirmed again by Cartes du Ceil.
My image framed nicely with the glorius M108 shows this rather bright galaxy.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just when I thought it could not get any better.
 SDSSCGB 24289.1 breaks my distance record with a whopping 2.02 Billion light years. I can safely say that is the first time I have broken the billion light year barrier.
I have framed this small fuzzy against the Owl nebula. Position confirmed again by CDC
 

 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best was yet to come.
 
 but my greatest surprise was a 20th mag capture of a distant, sorry I mean VERY VERY VERY distant quasar [VV2006] J111005.6+553532 confirmed in position by Carte du Ceil. This is certainly a record for me that will last a while capturing a z=3.54642 Redshift Quasar an incredible 11.9 Billion yes you read it correctly 11.9 Billion light years away. That equates without a great deal of maths, the light from the earliest universe when it was just 1.7 billion years old. To say I am stunned is an understatement. Framed again against M108 who seems to just get bigger. Is the faintest couple of pixels I have ever captured. No enhancement of this image exept levels & curves in Photoshop.












----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am just wondering what I can do next to top this.


4 comments:

Steve said...

WOW! A great post Malc That really is a fair way off. great post indeed. I should imagine you were speechless!
I know I would have been.

Steve

johnsastroshots said...

Amazing stuff Malc.
Who wants the Hubble!!
should put some of these images into Astronomy Now.

John

johnsastroshots said...

Amazing stuff Malc.
Who wants the Hubble!!
should put some of these images into Astronomy Now.

John

Astrophotomagblog said...

Something to be really proud of Malcolm. Congratulations :)

California Nebula

  NGC1499 The California Nebula. Discovered in 1889 The California Nebula is an emission nebula in the constellation of Perseus, currently v...